Verte de Cambrai Corn Salad (Mache)
- Valerianella locusta
- Open pollinated Heirloom 55 days.
- Great cold weather salad green. Verte de Cambrai Corn Salad has a mild flavor and tender round leaves are easy to grow.
- Harvest leaves at 4-6. Very cold tolerant.
- Plant in October for early spring harvest, sometimes in the snow.
- Standard variety in France and Germany. Small seeded.
Planting Directions: Sow seed in September-October for a February or March harvest or in early spring for a late spring to early summer crop. If you expect heavy frost in spring or hard freezes in winter, Garden Row Covers will protect plants and allow a continuous harvest. Sow seed by lightly broadcasting or sow seed ¼” to ½” deep in rows 8” apart. Thin seedlings to 3” apart. Harvest the entire plant when it forms a rosette of 6 to 8 leaves. Plants do not tolerate hot weather, if attempting a summer crop sow in shade and keep well watered.
Add to salads and dress with a light vinaigrette with a touch of Dijon mustard.