Tetsukabuto Squash (F1)
Regular price $4.65
- Hybrid 90 days. Cucurbita maxima x C. moschata.
- Kabocha squash,Tetsukabuto Squash (F1) has a sweet nutty flavor.
- Fruits are nearly round, 5.5 to 6.5 lbs.
- Resistant to disease and squash vine borers.
- Large vines, productive and stores well.
- Hugely popular in Brazil since 1960. Arguably it is shaping some of their current cuisine and sold by the half so shoppers can see the rich deep yellow/orange color.
- Used for soups, salads, meat dishes and baby food. We recommend planting this variety with a C. maxima variety for best fruit set.
- Used as root stalk for grafting watermelons, squash and cucumbers.
Planting Directions: Plant in spring when soil is between 70° to 95?. Plant in soil that has been amended with rich compost or general garden fertilizer. Plant 6-8 seeds ½ - 1” deep in hills spaced 3’ to 6’ apart. Thin seedlings to 3 per hill. Seeds may also be started indoors 3 to 4 weeks before last frost. Transplant to hills after all danger of frost has past and soil has warmed and remains 65°-75?. Squash need heavy watering on a regular schedule. Fruits are ready when the rind is hard to the fingernail and the stems begin to dry.