Sugar Loaf Hessel Winter Squash
Regular price $3.25
- Cucurbita pepo Delicata Type. Open pollinated. 100 days.
- Mike Hessel's line of Sugar Loaf "Tan Delicata" is the best available.
- Classic intense Sugar Loaf flavor, bigger fruit, Hessel's Sugar Loaf Winter Squash has thicker flesh and higher yield than other line.
- An improved version of OSU released "Sugar Loaf" Winter Squash which was developed by Dr. James Baggett whom Mike studied under.
- A Nichols Garden Nursery introduction.
Planting Directions: Plant in spring when soil is between 70° to 95?. Plant in soil that has been amended with rich compost or general garden fertilizer. Plant 6-8 seeds ½ - 1” deep in hills spaced 3’ to 6’ apart. Thin seedlings to 3 per hill. Seeds may also be started indoors 3 to 4 weeks before last frost. Transplant to hills after all danger of frost has past and soil has warmed and remains 65°-75?. Squash need heavy watering on a regular schedule. Fruits are ready when the rind is hard to the fingernail and the stems begin to dry.