Salsify Mammoth Sandwich Island Oyster Plant
- Tragopogon porrifolius. Open pollinated. 120 days. Heirloom.
- Salsify roots taste like fried oysters when sliced and French fried.
- You can enjoy them all winter by covering plants with straw or leaf mulch in the fall.
- Shoots that start in winter give salads a nice flavor.
- An unusual vegetable delicacy. Edible flowers.
Planting Directions: Plant as early in spring as ground can be worked. Enrich soil with rich garden compost for best root development. Sow seed ½” deep, when seedlings are 5” tall, thin to stand 8” apart. Plants are hardy and some may be left in the garden for early spring use.