Oregon Homestead Sweet Meat
Regular price $3.95
CROP FAILURE FOR THE 2023 SEASON
Cucurbita maxima. Open pollinated
- 100 days.
- The Oregon Homestead line of Sweet Meat squash is one to grow for a serious home food supply.
- Unsurpassed flavor, thick, very dry flesh and huge delicious seeds. Fruits weigh 12 to 24 pounds and store 6 months or more.
- Large vines set 3-4 fruits per plant.
- This Oregon original germinates in cold mud and grows in cool weather.
- Cooked flesh freezes well. This seed was personally grown by Carol Deppe who has selected for traits described in the earliest seed catalogs.
Planting Directions: Plant in spring when soil is between 70° to 95°. Plant in soil that has been amended with rich compost or general garden fertilizer. Plant 6-8 seeds ½ - 1” deep in hills spaced 3’ to 6’ apart. Thin seedlings to 3 per hill. Seeds may also be started indoors 3 to 4 weeks before last frost. Transplant to hills after all danger of frost has past and soil has warmed and remains 65°-75°. Squash need heavy watering on a regular schedule. Fruits are ready when the rind is hard to the fingernail and the stems begin to dry.