Melokhiya - Saluyot
- Grows to 4' tall.
- The most widely consumed vegetable in Egypt.
- Quite nutritious, one serving contains 410 mg of calcium and similarly high amounts of vitamins A, B1, B2 and potassium.
- Mild tender leaves thicken brothy soups and are added to medleys of mixed greens, and stews.
- Shoots and leaves are tender when young, begin harvest at 12".
- Allow to mature and harvest leaves to air dry for winter soups.
- Plants need a warm sunny location.
Planting Directions: Sow directly into soil when ground has fully warmed. Sow onto soil surface 3-4” apart, lightly tamp seed into soil and barely cover seeds. When plants are well established, thin or transplant to 12” apart. Soil should be loose, well drained and of moderate to good fertility. Plant in full sun. These plants are native to Egypt and will thrive in your warmest sunniest spot.