- Open Pollinated. 130 days. Heirloom.
- Huge, 10 in diameter the weight of Gigante Kohlrabi regularly exceeds 10 pounds. The world record is 62 pounds with leaves included. Its claim to fame is not only its size but its extraordinary quality.
- The crisp white flesh is tender and mild-flavored with no tough or woody fiber.
- Seed is best sown in early spring or mid summer for a fall/winter crop.
- These vigorous plants thrive in rich fertile soil and adequate moisture.
- Stores well.
- Serve with a dip; grated ice or chunk in salads. The abundant greens may be prepared as you would collards or kale. Stores well. Nichols is delighted to offer this huge Czechoslovakian heirloom.
Planting Directions: Plant in spring as early as the ground can be worked and soil temperature is between 45° to 85°. Cultivate soil and add compost or manure prior to planting. Sow seed 1/2” deep, at 3-4 seeds per inch and rows spaced 18” apart. Thin seedlings when they reach 6” to 12-18” centers. Kohlrabi may be started in cold frames or indoors. Transplant or thin to 2” apart when plants are 2” tall. Plant late summer for a fall crop.