Fava Bean Broad Windsor Type
- Vicia faba. Open pollinated. 85 days. Heirloom
- Bush. Frost resistant.
- This large lima shaped fava is the only old world bean.
- Plant in fall for early spring crop or very early spring for June harvest.
- A sprig of summer savory is the traditional seasoning. (Some people have a rare genetic allergy). Brown seeds.
- Fava's are excellent used as a cover crop
Planting Directions: Direct sow in spring after frost danger has passed and soil temperature is a minimum of 60?, 70? is optimum. Plant 1”to 2” deep, 4-6” apart. Cultivate soil incorporating compost or a low nitrogen general purpose fertilizer. Keep soil moist until seed germinates, after that water moderately and regularly until harvest. Provide trellis for pole beans; bush beans do not need a trellis. After each picking water deep to prolong production. We recommend using a legume inoculant when planting.