Fakel Tomato Organic
Regular price $2.65
- Open Pollinated. 75 days Determinate.
- The productive compact bush makes a good stand of flame red, 3.5 “ slightly oblong tomatoes with an excellent flavor and texture.
- Multi-purpose Fakel holds well after harvest and is a good choice for packing in newspaper and holding in a cool spot.
- Kate Gessert brought Fakel to us from a Moscow seed store many years ago. We offered seed a few years then dropped it. This summer, from remaining seeds in the freezer, we grew a nice crop.
- We understand that Fakel is a Russian word for “Torch”.
- Good choice for container growing.
Planting Directions: Plant seed indoors 6-8 weeks before transplanting in spring. Sow seed 1/2” deep in sterile starting soil, maintaining a soil temperature of 65? to 95?. Germinates in 6-10 days if soil is kept at 85°. When seedlings are 10 days old replant (if using seedling trays) into 2” or 4” pots. Transplant outdoors when soil temperatures are at least 70? in well drained soil enriched with organic matter or a general purpose fertilizer. Space plants 2’ to 3’ apart. Avoid high levels of nitrogen in the soil as this promotes vegetative growth and reduces yields. Water regularly during growing season and reduce or withhold water when tomatoes begin to ripen.